It’s almost 2023.
I’m feeling (mostly) better. My voice is about 85% ‘back.’ Christmas week has come & gone. I can sense a collective gathering of energy as we prepare to step into the New Year & all that it holds: things we expect, & things we don’t.
Multiple times on Christmas Day I had several people in a variety of contexts share the same Scripture with me:
There is a time for everything, & a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born & a time to die; a time to plant & a time to uproot;
a time to kill & a time to heal; a time to tear down & a time to build;
a time to weep & a time to laugh; a time to mourn & a time to dance.
a time to scatter stones & a time to gather them;
a time to embrace & a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to search & a time to give up; a time to keep & a time to throw away;
a time to tear & a time to mend; a time to be silent & a time to speak;
a time to love & a time for hate; a time for war & a time for peace.
Over the last week, I’ve been pondering this Scripture & asking God to give me His insight for it at this time, as well as what He’s leading me (& our church) into & towards in 2023…
I’m smiling as I write this – because with all that said:
- I still DON’T have a clear plan for the whole year.
- I DON’T completely know or understand how God is working the Ecclesiastes 3 Scripture above into me.
- I DO know that God has confirmed Joni & I are where we are supposed to be – in Reno, doing what we’re doing, pursuing Him, leading Hillside, & helping to care for our Area Pastors.
- I DO know that there are ebbs & flows; times & seasons for ALL of God’s purposes in/for/through/around me. And you.
- I DO know that He is at work – some days it feels like my soul is being roto-tilled, & I’m being jack-hammered at the deepest part of my being… not for punishment, but as a preparation for the new life, new planting, new construction, new creation God is working in me.
- I DO know that it isn’t pleasant – it hurts, it is uncomfortable, & it is, at times, a struggle.
- I DO know that whatever God’s ‘end game’ for this time & season will be GOOD – it will work for my good & for His glory.
I DON’T know exactly what times & seasons you are facing, but I DO know that God is working it for your good & for His glory. Embrace it – whether its a season ending or beginning. Whether you’re going through it with mourning, tears, & pain, or you’re celebrating with shouts of joy & thanksgiving.
I think I’m going to go listen to the Byrds
Happy New Year – & may you make much of Jesus in all you do –
Grace, peace, & many blessings to you